Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

The End of My Hipster Posts

I love google. There are many reasons for this love, so many I won't bore you with them. But at this moment my love for the google stems from a spot on search result I just got back.

I've been caught up on the idea of hipsters and authenticity lately and felt like I just hadn't been able to capture what was so depressing about it all. Then I remembered my old friend google and now I can move on with my life. After typing in "authenticity ruined hipster" I was sent to this link and Douglas Haddow succinctly said what I had been wanting to say. And in 2008 no less.

So dear readers, consider yourself saved from any further ruminations on hipsters. I will now move forward into other subject matter that, hopefully, will someday top the list of someone's google use and save them days, months, maybe even years of pondering with a simple link to a well written blog post by the Jj.

It was depressing to read such a thoughtful argument for why hipsters = the decline of Western civilization, but I almost completely agree with Haddow's final paragraph:

"We are a lost generation, desperately clinging to anything that feels real, but too afraid to become it ourselves. We are a defeated generation, resigned to the hypocrisy of those before us, who once sang songs of rebellion and now sell them back to us. We are the last generation, a culmination of all previous things, destroyed by the vapidity that surrounds us. The hipster represents the end of Western civilization – a culture so detached and disconnected that it has stopped giving birth to anything new."

I am not resigned to that conclusion and I think we are capable of more, I just don't know how yet. But for every fauxhemian out there I'm willing to bet there are a greater amount of people not afraid to become real. So if there is a lesson in all of this, it's be real. Truly real. Doing so might, just might save Western civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment